Tuesday, April 3, 2018

003: Procrastination

I got sick overnight and missed my Mornings in the Studio date I had set with myself. The upside is I'm feeling a little better now and since I was home from work, I made sure to get some things done while I have the time here. I realized yesterday that I wanted to start yet another "Lifestyle Experiment" because I was doing some serious procrastination and avoidance of some commitments that I've made, ones that I no longer want to be a part of. Of course, that avoidance a couple of weeks ago resulted in me being unable to function for a couple of days because I was overcome with stress.

One of the things I just did was write a resignation letter for a volunteer board on which I'm currently serving. It's become too much to do and I'm missing out on important things like parenting and personal time. At lunch, my husband patiently walked me through why I need to do this, and named several things he has had to quit over the years, but all with positive results. And this reminder about sunk costs and opportunity costs helped too.

So, day 3 looks like this: I totally missed spending time in my studio this morning, but spent some valuable time later in my studio on my computer composing a resignation letter.

And it also looks like this: I started actually planning the parameters of a Year of No Shopping, and then went to Amazon and bought a new bathroom rug. Because I haven't committed yet and the old rug was totally worn out. At least that's what I'm telling myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment