Friday, November 15, 2013

On Habits

I just read some insightful words that spoke to me, in one of the instances in which the words might not have meant as much yesterday or perhaps even tomorrow, but today, in the now, they are compelling.

-----------------
Have a powerful reason — when things get difficult, “because it sounds nice” or “to look good” aren’t going to cut it.
Start tiny, with a simple but unbreakable promise to yourself to do one small thing every single day.
Watch your urges, and learn not to act on childish whims.
Listen to your self-rationalizations, and don’t believe their lying ways.
Enjoy the habit, or you won’t stay with it longer than a week’s worth of sunrises.
-----------------
These words are from Leo Babouta, author of Zen Habits, a worthwhile blog I often find myself thinking about. They are from the post entitled "Self-Discipline in 5 Sentences" and while I sometimes find Babouta's writings a tad sanctimonious, so often the spirit behind the writing contains provocative truths. In this case, for me anyway, these 5 sentences are summing up what's lacking from my today as I bounce around, not really accomplishing anything, eating extra snacks, and generally feeling a malaise I'm finding hard to shake. And, it's totally because of a lack of self-discipline. Last night I stayed up later than I should have, watching the 3rd season of Dr. Who, then I slept in and didn't start out my day accomplishing anything for myself before the kids got up (a habit I cultivate with varying degrees of success, but one which is so fulfilling, the more I do it the more I want to continue), and I've been sleepy and unfocused all day.

Had I read these words yesterday, would I have thought to apply them? Or is it only in retrospect that they seem especially telling?

1. I did not have a "powerful" reason for staying up to watch a show on DVD. I could have stopped sooner and finished it some other day.
2. I broke the tiny promise to myself to get up early today, something I do most days- as in, I actually do get up before 6 am to accomplish things for myself, so doing it today wouldn't have been unusual.
3. Childish whims included staying up to watch a tv show, and today, I ate leftover Halloween candy, random snacks I found in the kitchen, and decided not to go for a run, more or less because "I didn't feel like it," not because I had any other reason.
4. My self-rationalizing self included silly lines like, "I deserve to stay up late sometimes, watching something I'm enjoying!" and "I feel fine (or actually, a bit sluggish). I can exercise tomorrow," and "A little sugar will help me feel better." Yeah, right.
5. Turns out, I enjoy many habits, and when I don't stick to them, I fell icky. Like today.

"Do better tomorrow" is too vague a promise, so instead I have several small promises, all of which, with self-discipline are absolutely accomplishable. Ha! Sanctimonious enough?

No comments:

Post a Comment