Sunday, November 3, 2013

Sunday Made: Mustard

Good morning! I am a little jittery this morning, due to my copious coffee consumption. I, rather idiotically, forgot about Daylight Savings, and got up extra early this morning. I had time to make  more coffee, after I had finished off the first few cups...

I wanted to share something I made from scratch a couple of weeks of ago, and now that we've had a chance to taste and use it, I'm very happy with it. Mustard!






The recipe makes about a pint, and is good in the fridge for 6 months, which should work out for us pretty well. It tastes great, and was super easy to make. Plus, it fits with our long-term goals to make more of the things we usually buy, especially things that are packaged in plastic (and yes, you can buy mustard in glass, but still can't recycle the lid, and I already have a massive backlog of glass jars waiting for reuse. Like the one I put this mustard in!). I bought the mustard seed from Mountain Rose Herbs, and thus I acquired two heavy duty plastic bags (two types of seed: brown and yellow). However, I should be able to make 3 batches, or 18 months worth of mustard, with those two bags, which is not Zero Waste, but at least attempts to use less plastic. We reuse the Mountain Rose Herbs bags, usually to store dehydrated food, because they're so heavy duty and are zip-sealed.

The recipe I followed was for Lavender Mustard. I admit, I love the smell of lavender, but not the taste so much. So, I followed the recipe, but reduced the lavender by half, and I think you could probably leave it out all together without any major change in taste. I also used my immersion hand blender to mix it, and left many of the seeds whole since we like a grainier mustard rather than a smoother one.

Here's the original link for the recipe.


Ingredients
  • 1/4 cup brown mustard seeds
  • 1/4 cup yellow mustard seeds
    (use only yellow seeds if you want a milder taste)
  • 1/2 cup apple cider vinegar
  • 1/2 cup water
  • 1 teaspoon honey
  • 1 teaspoon turmeric powder
  • 1 tablespoon lavender flowers
  • 1 teaspoon salt
Place the mustard seeds, apple cider vinegar and water in a glass bowl. Cover and let sit for about two days.
When the mustard seeds are through soaking, place them as well as the liquid into a food processor or blender.
Add the rest of the ingredients and blend until the mustard is ground into a mustard paste.

Delicious!

No comments:

Post a Comment