Tuesday, November 12, 2013

Before and After: Happy Birthday!



Transformation, evolution, metamorphosis, revolution.

Revelation.

Amazing changes all around me.




Before the candles were lit on my 37th Birthday cake.



After they were lit. At least there weren't actually 37 candles or it would have burst into flames!


On Sunday I celebrated my 37th birthday. It was a nice, relaxing day that I spent with my husband and kids. I thought about doing a Before and After with photos of me on the last day of my 36th year, and the first day of my 37th, with the point that there's not really much difference. Age is relative. However, the last day of my 36th year turned out to be tough and I was grumpy, and I didn't really want to commemorate it in a photo. And the first day of 37 was very nice, but I'm not sure documenting it via a photo would have actually enhanced it. The cake was enough to validate it as a tangible (chocolate) memory.


My husband and daughter made a Chocolate Eclipse cake from Mollie Katzen's Still Life with Menu Cookbook. I had just bought the book at a used book store the day before, so the first recipe from it was a definite success. Katzen's description: "It is a soft, moist chocolate cake with a built-in pudding-like fudge sauce that ends up underneath." My description: "MMMmmmm. I can't talk right now; I'm putting more cake in my mouth. MMmmmm." What a delicious happy birthday!

No comments:

Post a Comment