Tuesday, February 4, 2014

Pod in the Sagebrush Sea


Pod in the Sagebrush Sea, 1946. Mixed Media. 2014


The second altered postcard I entered in the Signed, Sealed and Delivered show at Fuller Lodge Art Center (the first is here) was even more fun to work on. The hand-colored photo is of Blanca Peak, near the San Luis Valley in southern Colorado, and I added a pod of humpback whales navigating the sagebrush on the valley floor. I am hoping for a few double-takes from viewers as they put the juxtaposition together.


Pod in the Sagebrush Sea, 1946. Mixed media. Back 2014.

I enjoyed working on the back immensely, layering paint and pen doodles. In fact, working on this set the tone for the next four cards and I think it has also pointed me in a direction for exploration that I am very excited about. I used bubble wrap to print some greens and yellows, and drew some layered aura rounds and a few plant- and vine-like shapes. I am very happy with the result.

The postcard is postmarked September 1946, and is again addressed to the Kings, at the house my grandparents lived in. The note is a little more interesting, with Evelyn remarking to Mrs. King that she and Mrs. Ballard had spoken and there would be no further duplications at their meetings. Which of course begs the questions, What meetings? and What was duplicated? It sounds secretive and exciting, if you choose to read it that way. Evelyn further confirms spending the day with Mrs King on Nov. 14th. Finally, she signs off "in haste" which deepens the mystery... if you, or rather I, decide to embellish the story in my head.


Altered Postcards. Mixed media. 2014
 All in all, a thoroughly enjoyable pair of little artworks.



No comments:

Post a Comment