Sunday, January 20, 2013

Orientation


My studio. Actually, this has become very much a home for me. In the years we've been in the house, first with just the two of us and then adding two children (and the dog and the cat, of course), I've really resisted the idea of having only a small space in which to work. I want a Studio! One of those big white ones with skylights and splatters of paint on the walls! Or at least a guest bedroom that's all mine! How can I possibly "work" without the space to spread out? Or the space to be by myself when inspiration strikes!... But eventually, I've come around to the idea that if I'm restricted to only producing art in a specific space, then I'm not going to produce much, am I?! I did not expect to love having this little space- and every iota is mine- right in the middle of everything. But guess what? Art isn't meant to be compartmentalized and separated from life.

Art IS life.

Even as I have been typing this, I've gotten nosed by the dog, helped a pre-schooler with her hair bows, and gotten a request for Mac and Cheese for lunch. All while right in the middle of the sketchbook painting, paints, pencils, and cup of Chai (now cold) I started this morning in the quiet before anyone else was awake.

I love my studio.

No comments:

Post a Comment