Saturday, March 29, 2014

Kid Project: Magnetic Fridge Sticks

A couple of weeks ago, the kids and I sat down to do a project that turned out to be a lot of fun: Magnetic Fridge Sticks.


It's a very simple project, but with a good payoff. We colored on craft sticks with Sharpies, hot-glued small magnets to the back of the sticks, and voila! We were ready to create on the fridge.




I modified the project a bit from the original instructions. We colored with Sharpies because I wasn't in the mood to get out the painting things, but had we painted, the project would have easily taken the whole afternoon, if not longer. Also, I could get regular (popsicle-sized) craft sticks at the grocery store, so we stuck with the small size rather than making a special trip to get large craft sticks (tongue depressor-sized). It looks like the original project used more expensive magnets than I was willing to purchase, so we used a roll of magnetic tape that I got at the hardware store for about $3.99, and it was enough to all the sticks we colored. The adhesive wasn't strong enough to stick without hot glue, though. 


I got this project from The Artful Parent, which if you haven't encountered it yet, is definitely worth the look. She has also written an excellent book, which has given us many ideas for at-home projects, as well as providing great projects for some of the art classes I teach for kids. Her original post about this project is here.


Have a great Saturday!


No comments:

Post a Comment